Monday, December 12, 2011

Baking

I have been going crazy about baking!! I keep looking up recipes online that I have the ingredients to make. I've learned maple extract is a great substitute for vanilla extract, my oven is crazy, and that I have an insatiable sweet tooth :)
I love making things, and baking is currently my best venue to release my creative juices. I like having the sweets on hand, but that is just a perk. I currently have plenty of sweets on hand, and I still am scouring the internet for more things to try. I don't have that many sweets in my arsenal of baked goods I have mastered, so I guess its good for me to get the practice :)
I have done a lot more stove top cooking then baking, which possibly is another reason I've grown addicted to baking lately.
I should be studying for finals, but instead I'm contemplating what I can make with the ingredients i have and what to get so I can make more!!!!
If there is a baking fever I think I have it :) (no pun intended).
I have made cookies twice and brownies from scratch, and i am currently trying to figure out how i can get the ingredients for 7 layer candy, a delicious bar dessert that is super rich. it seems that many people have their own way of making it, but here is mine:

Ingredients:
Butter
Graham Cracker crumbs
Chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
white chocolate chips
shredded coconut
sweet and condensed milk


Basically you melt enough butter to cover the bottom of your pan. Then you put a layer of graham cracker crumbs down. you don't want it to be to thick, but make sure it covers all of the bottom. Then you layer the three types of chocolate chips. combined they should almost completely cover the graham cracker crumbs. Next as im sure you can guess is a layer of shredded coconut that just barely covers the chips. Follow by pouring sweet and condensed milk over the top of it all. the great thing about this recipe is you don't need to measure, and as you make it, you learn to judge how much of each ingredient to  match your taste. It is simple and delicious, and has won me many a compliment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment