Thursday, October 11, 2012

Crochet Satchel/Over the Shoulder Bag

So, i really wanted a over the shoulder bag that was big enough to hold my laptop. As it is if i am going to campus i either bring a purse or my backpack. The only problem is sometimes i don't want to bring all my school work up, but i want to bring my computer. I usually end up taking my backpack so i have something to hold my computer. I wanted a purse that would be big enough to to bring my computer to more casual things then school. I have been thinking about crocheting one for a while, and finally did. I was going to use a free pattern i got from Joann, with some alterations, but just ended up basing the panels on that pattern. It isn't on the Joann website, but is on the Bernat website here:

 http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2234

Here are some pictures of the final product:




One panel is grey like the strap and the other is black as an accent color. I really like how it turned out. I thought about putting a flap that was also black that would attach to the black panel and rest over the grey panel, going about two thirds of the way down it. I decided not to, but think that it is a fine alteration, depending on what the bag is wanted for. You can also easily edit the height or width of the panels, as well as the strap length.

Hook size H or I,

Panel (make two):
1. Ch. 40. Turn.
2. hdc twice in second ch from hook, continue to hdc once in each ch until you reach the last ch in the row. hdc twice in the last ch in the row. Ch 2. Turn.
3. Repeat expansion rows like step 2 for 5 more rows, or until have soft corner for the size of bag you are making
4. Continue in hdc (no expansion) until you reach 12 in, or the desired height. Tie off.

Connect panels:
Slip stitch panels together. Start with right sides together, working from the top of one side, and continuing down and around until you reach the top of the other side. Tie off.
*On the bottom slip stitch bottom st together. On the sides, do one slip stitch per row.

Strap:
Tie yarn to spot 6 st. away from the edge of the panel, including the st. used in slip st. sc in 5 st until seam, and 5 st after seam, making the strap 10 st. wide. ch. 2. Turn
hdc across the 10 st, ch 2, turn.
repeat until strap is desired length*- around  105 hdc rows.
*strap will stretch making it longer and skinnier. Make sure you take this into account when deciding a length.
Slip stitch end of strap to the 10 stitches centered on the other seam.


No comments:

Post a Comment